More Mahogany Mayhem Machinations!

.....  Much to the chagrin of Broward County School's Development Division, the annihilation of  Fort Lauderdale High School's nearly century-old Mahogany trees controversy  is not going away any time soon.

Now, Fort Lauderdale City Manager Lee Feldman, has instructed the new Broward County School's Administrator, Robert Runcie, that he will see him in court - City Court!

The tree violation will be heard on July 19th, at 9 am, in front of the City's Special Master.

So far,  the Fort Lauderdale Mayor  has weighed in, two School Board members are making inquiries, (Leach and Dinnen) and the neighborhoods are up in arms.

And just a bit ago, after possible District II candidate Steve Glassman wrote County Commissioner La Marca asking for the County Commission to weigh in, LaMarca is now looking into new procedures to preclude it from happening in the future!

Comments

• 7/3/2012 2:04 PM Mary wrote:
    Thanks Tim for keeping this on the 'front page'.
  • 7/3/2012 8:49 PM Really wrote:
    I think that the County serves as the tree reviewers on School Board property. Let's assume a professional review was conducted which followed the rules in determining relocation and mitigation. What should have been done differently? Announce to Tim Smith and others that a tree plan was being developed so that they could belly ache about it and negotiate something? Are they arborists? It just would have been a bunch of noise and nothing would have come of it except for a few folks to play politics - which they are doing now anyway. If my neighbor wants to remove a tree, should Tim Smith be notified so he can negotiate?
  • 7/4/2012 6:39 AM Tim Smith wrote:
       ..... really Really ? If County employees ( like you), reviewed and approved butchering those beautiful Mahoganies, when you could have left them and moved a few parking spaces instead, then we citizens should insist that you find a new line of work! ...and btw, I've been in the Landscape business for 30 years and I know beautiful, healthy Mahoganies when I see them! ...... Tim Smith
  • 7/4/2012 6:45 AM hot air wrote:
    It all a lot of posturing by Feldman, I guess when you are 5'1 that is what you do. Florida Law is clear, the SB does not need permission, permits or otherwise from the City to do this. Lee can whine all he wants but the law is clearly with the SB. It is a shame about the trees and I am not defending it, but Feldman wasting everyone's time posturing where he has not legal footing shows maybe Lee should focus his efforts on more important things regarding the city.
  • 7/4/2012 6:47 AM Carmen wrote:
    Way to go Tim! Thanks for bringing this to the light! It's preposterous. I'm speechless, really, as I said in your blog. What would cause anyone to do such a thing. It boggles the mind I say! There is no explanation....REALLY!! Thanks for keeping this in our faces!
  • 7/4/2012 7:04 AM Sam Chapone wrote:
    Why is it that people think there's an ulterior motive for others caring about what happens around them, and acting on it?
    Thank God this travesty was exposed- I live in the neighborhood- one that lost alot of trees to the likes of hurricanes Wilma and Katrina,and I am saddened by the loss of the shade canopy, not to mention the oxygen massive trees provide....
    I feel sorry for those folks that think it's fine to destroy our natural beauty- I don"t think they spend too much time in the out of doors,enjoying a walk, smelling the proverbial roses- perhaps that is why they are so negative.....
  • 7/4/2012 7:07 AM Lydia wrote:
    - why don't we just cut all the trees down and look like Haiti.
  • 7/4/2012 2:19 PM Paul Gougelman wrote:
    As a Lauderdale High alum (Class of '69), I thank you for keeping this on the front burner. Hot Air makes a good point above that state law generally provides that public schools are not subject to City land development codes. City Manager Feldman's response will at least provide a platform from which the School Board can explain to the community why this happened.

However, I think the City needs to get with the Florida League of Cities and get the law changed. If they don't push this, this type of thing will just continue to happen. Public Schools and community colleges, for that matter, in other communities and counties flaunt municipal land development codes and ignore them. Why? Because they can.

And as we all know, absolute power usually leads to absolute abuse of power, and when you look at the pictures on your web page, I think that is graphic evidence of an absolute abuse of absolute power.

With regard to this abuse, I wrote 4 of our School Board Members, including at large member Bartleman. Only Katie Leach responded. I also wrote to Mayor Seiler who responded.

While the response from Ms. Leach was positive and definitely appreciated, I still have not heard - - as yet - - what the School Board plans to do.

Keep this on the front burner please!
  • 7/4/2012 7:04 PM Marge wrote:
    Congratulations on great coverage of this awful event.
  • 7/7/2012 7:35 AM Hot air wrote:
    Saw in the paper today the city has backed down because the law was on the side of the schoolboard. Shocker! Feldman sure earned his big bucks on that one.
  • 7/7/2012 1:02 PM scottstrawbridge wrote:
    The City should file historic landmark applications for all public school sites within City limits. Make them go to the Historic Preservation Board whenever they want to make a change. There is no exemption to hide behind.
  • 7/28/2012 8:37 AM Rose Butman wrote:
    Consulting Arborist L. Thomas Chancey who serves on the City of Fort Lauderdales Tree Preservation Committee has volunteered his time to save the 24" diameter Mahogany at the school
    He has worked wit the community, county, city and school board to move forward with the work without killing the tree. Thanks again to Tom for helping to preserve our dwindling tree canopy!
    Rose Bechard-Butman, Certifed Arborist