Tidbits on Foul County Commission Election

     Politics !

    
Just the latest example of why we love to hate our elected officials -

                              the District 7 County Commission  race.

     So far, we know these three candidates  ..............


      Rodstrom                                    Keechl                                  Ryan

     Charlotte Rodstrom ran for her City Commission seat and won in January of this year, then announced two weeks later that she would be leaving to run for the County Commission. Now, her husband's lawyer friend has sued to try and allow Republicans to vote in the primary race, as she is considered the most conservative of the three....

     Ken Keechl  was the County Mayor, but lost his re-election bid despite raising an enormous amount of campaign money-  $590,000. Most pundits credited his loss to reports that he spent campaign funds on his own property mortgage, and  lavish lunches, wine, food and travel. Now, Keechl has admitted putting one of the two republican write -in candidates in the race to exclude Republicans from voting in the primary (as he is considered the most liberal of the three!)

     Tim Ryan spent eight years in the Florida House of Representatives, until term limiting. Ryan comes from a long line of family politicians, though I couldn't dig up any dirt or controversy..   As a matter of fact, Ryan, a lawyer, received the highest legal ranking for, get this, ethical standards!  This race could use some of that!

    
Then there are the two shadowy republican write-in candidates in the race. One was put in by Keechl. and     ......here is the other one!



                                     ...  Jessica Heinecker  ...  Make-Up Artist !

    
( no, I'm not kidding!) ....  I reached her on the phone and she was quite surprised -"how did you find me?" ..  She was busy and couldn't talk, and I haven't been able to reach her since.

         .......  on another note on this screwy election, Judge Naugle recused herself from being the Judge on Rodstrom's friend's lawsuit, saying she was one of the "disenfranchised" voters who couldn't vote in the County primary election since the County doesn't have open primaries.  Wouldn't that mean no County Judge could take the case (unless they lived in Dade or Palm Beach?)



    

 

What did you think of this article?




Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this post.
Comments

  • 7/28/2012 12:55 PM Marge wrote:
    Curious-er and curious-er! Easier to follow compared to the Sun-Sentinel article....great reporting!
    But having trouble reading those magic two words on your comment section!!!
    Reply to this
  • 7/28/2012 1:44 PM Dennis Ulmer wrote:
    Judge Carol-Lisa Phillips (Yes, she's married to Jim Naugle) is one of those voters that is "disenfranchised" because she lives in County Commission District 7. ALL judges in Broward County that do not live in District 7 could be the judge in this case. The only voters in the County Commission District 7 Race, are those voters who live in the district. The issue here is also not just about open primaries, it's also about what County Commission District that you live in. You don't need a judge from "Dade or Palm Beach" Just a judge who lives outside of that particular County Commission District. Also note, no one has raised the issue about Republican voters in any other County Commission District Primary where there is no Republican candidates for County Commissioner. So, I presume the legal decisions in this case will only involve District 7.
    Reply to this
    1. 7/28/2012 3:19 PM Tim Smith wrote:
      Dennis ... your argument just doesn't sound right.... wouldn't any Judges' verdict in the case affect all the County's districts? .... and if you think Judge Naugle recused herself because of "disenfranchisement", I have some swampland for sale that you might love!
      Reply to this
  • 7/28/2012 2:31 PM makes no sense wrote:
    Judge Phillips should have told the truth and just said, "I'm not going down this Scherer-Telli road again. What's more, why didn't she recuse herself in the previous John Rodstrom term-limit case - after all, he is her Commissioner and that case affected her as well?! Can't anyone tell the truth anymore?
    Reply to this
  • 7/28/2012 2:37 PM lots of makeup wrote:
    Rumor has it that Charlotte Rodstrom put Ms. Heinecker in the race (Charlotte is good at that)because she never in a million years thought that anyone would find out that this woman does her make-up. Come on, Charlotte, Jessica, Robert Walsh and anyone else who knows about this make-up connection - fess up!
    Reply to this
  • 7/28/2012 3:24 PM Rusty wrote:
    Why is everyone now not calling Judge Naugle - Naugle. I think she used to hyphenate. Maybe she left Naugle, at least then I could say she made at least one good decision.
    Reply to this
  • 7/28/2012 4:42 PM Anonymous wrote:
    Keechl was county mayor as the ceremonial rotating one year deal, so lets not mislead anyone. he was not elected. the 9 on the dais do the horse trading. he also created dog death row. with lieberman term limited, the only other attorney on county comm. is ritter, so Tim Ryan could be a plus

    now when is carol phillips naugle's term up so we can vote her out?
    Reply to this
  • 7/28/2012 5:59 PM City Activist Robert Walsh wrote:
    To "lots Of Make-up"-although what you state has merit(somewhat) you will never be able to connect the dots.
    Reply to this
  • 7/28/2012 6:46 PM Sam Chapone wrote:
    Do we know who put her up to run? Funny thing, in my investigation, I realized she actually lives in Charlotte"s district- perhaps there"s a connection there? Also,Charlotte does wear alot of makeup, so...??????
    Reply to this
  • 7/29/2012 7:07 AM and the endorsement goes to wrote:
    So, Tim, when are you going to make your endorsement in this race? This is a very important seat for your neighborhood and absentee ballots have already gone out with early voting to start in less than a week. Can't wait for this one.
    Reply to this
  • 7/30/2012 1:35 PM Jessica Heinecker wrote:
    Tim, after returning from a weekend retreat I came across your voice mails to me Saturday regarding this article. I would very much like to speak with you regarding my intent as District 7 County Commissioner but would also like you to recognize that although I am a makeup artist, this is something I took up purely as a hobby. Frankly, it has been over a year since I have worked as a makeup artist. I made a decision that I had other goals to achieve before venturing into something I consider, a hobby. Also the photo of the lady in the dress with flowers is not me.

    Everyone seems to choose to talk about that (extremely small) portion of my life because; perhaps they want to believe that I am a young, silly girl who does not know anything except how to apply lipstick. This is very far from the truth and being a makeup artist, I suppose, is one definition of me but it is nowhere near the top of my abilities.

    Let me confirm, I am not Rodstorm’s makeup artist, and she did not “recruit me” nor have I ever spoken to her. I do live in District 7, and have for a period of time. There is no hidden agenda here; I have been a resident of Broward County since I was 2 years old and I intend to stay here a very long time. I grew up in Sunrise, I have gone through the school system and I am aware of the issues that are in Broward County (maybe not all at this time, but some as I continue to learn more each day).

    Since everyone is doing “research” about me, I would assume that everyone can see that I have worked with a local real estate company for over seven years but no one seems to mention that huge part of my daily life. I find it very interesting the persona and perception everyone is creating of me… in fact everyone who does knows me finds it quite comical.

    I have felt no obligation to campaign at this time, until I know who I am campaigning against. Plain and simple! I, unlike the others who are well known, do not have substantial support at this time to have the political donations rolling in. I have started my campaign at a grass roots level and will continue to do so until I know who I am running against.

    I am strategic and I intend to use that personal strength of mine to the tenth degree. However, I will say that my first taste of politics has been bitter sweet.
    Reply to this
  • 7/31/2012 6:39 AM Get your loyalty here wrote:
    So Tim, what do you think? If a few HOA's can raise $500 bucks that should buy some good loyalty if Ryan wins? Just be sure to get it in before elections day and not wait til November.


    http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fredbroward.com%2F2012%2F07%2F30%2Fis-judy-stern-teaching-other-broward-insiders-about-the-meaning-of-loyalty%2F&h=3AQGqzP_O

    “From: “Judith Stern”
    Date: July XX, 2012
    To: “XXX XXXXXX”
    Subject: Tim Ryan

    Tim is the only candidate who has been actually walking and talking with the constituents in the County Commission Race District 7. Most of you already know Tim as either the State Representative who served with Jack Seiler, or as legal counsel in either Dania Beach or Pembroke Park. As this is coming to a close, I certainly am comfortable in reaching out to each of you for campaign contribution for Tim Ryan, Candidate for County Commission. His opponents are Charlotte Rodstrom and Ken Keechl. Tim is certainly outworking each one of them and has been wisely campaigning through a well thought experienced campaign plan. He is looking for contributions to wrap up the end of this opportunity, and as an experienced former legislator, he understands the loyalty of those who step to the plate in the beginning versus those who may wait until after election day in August for his November election cycle. If anyone wants to meet with Tim, this is the week to do so, and Donna, my secretary can schedule the meeting.“

    Reply to this
  • 7/31/2012 9:09 AM the truth wrote:
    judy stern put Jessica Rabbitt in the race and ryan doesnt have the guts to admit it. judy probably wrote the comment too. ryan must be desparate to allow judy to email that letter to the lobbyists. He is going to lose big.
    Reply to this
  • 7/31/2012 5:49 PM Pragmatist wrote:
    Soooo I guess that settles it..3 candidates..No choices..I'll print out the above pictures and throw a dart. Broward is too big and too important for this crap..
    Reply to this
Leave a comment

Submitted comments are subject to moderation before being displayed.

 Name

 Email (will not be published)

 Website

Your comment is 0 characters limited to 3000 characters.