Tangled Web!

This is an update on the post of last week about Charlotte Rodstrom and the Fort Lauderdale  park land addition!

It is a tangled political web weaved, and very curious.

And now, the park land money slated for Fort Lauderdale may be headed for other cities out west ( I'll explain in a second ). -

Ryan                          Rodstrom

The County Commissioner who beat Rostrom in her ill-fated run for the County Commission last summer, Tim Ryan, had an item on the County Commission agenda to move purchase funds that were attached to an unbuyable -arsenic laden- parcel on one side of a Fort Lauderdale city park, to a bigger, clean parcel on the other side of that same city park....

Rodstrom had visited County Commissioners the day before the meeting to move the funds, and asked Commissioner Stacy Ritter to pull the item off the agenda.

Ritter did Rodstrom that favor by sending this official record below. Ritter told me that Rodstrom had made the rounds that day and asked other County Commissioners to pull the item as well.

Here is the official record -

Rodstrom tried to explain why she requested the park land addition be postponed by this letter below, sent to the neighborhood President-

Dear MRT President,

In respect to the recent accusations put out on a Blog. I am providing you information regarding my work on park space.

For anyone to make an accusation that I do not want more park space would be completely wrong.

Here is why:
     Since elected in 2006 I have secured funds for new parks: South Middle River Park in South Middle River neighborhood, Peter Feldman Park in Flagler Village, Middle River Terrace Park addition OS-145.
I have completed SMR park, Peter Feldman Park, Dolphin Isles park and I am awaiting for the completion of the MRT park addition.
     I also brought the first Greenway to Fort Lauderdale. The Flagler Greenway, if you count that as open space. Which equates to millions of dollars for Fort Lauderdale during the past 6 years and I followed the governmental process.
     And those are just the parks/open spaces in District 2, Citywide I also agreed to much more !!! Go take a look at how wonderful those parks are and the benefit to the neighborhoods. $400 million was provided under the County Parks program in 2000. I would gladly compare my park open space record to any other district commissioner since 2000.
     There seems to be a hidden agenda being promoted by a blogger. Most likely because he is supporting the person running against me in the upcoming election. I hope this information clarifies my position on the issue and is helpful to you. Thank you
Charlotte

I think this qualifies as a non-denial denial !

Now, Commissioner Wexler seems to be eyeing the funds for one of her cities, out west. She sent this e-mail to activist  Mary Grahams' inquiry on whether the park funds would stay in Fort Lauderdales' column -

..................................................................

-----Original Message-----
From: "Wexler, Lois"
Sent: Feb 11, 2013 11:31 PM
To: "mga-aia@ix.netcom.com"
Subject: RE: ITEM #54 BCC (deferred) 02-05-13 agenda

Mary
I am sure that Commissioner Ryan will champion the property switch for District 7 however the Board has to agree. There were 6 properties that were already on the list that had not been funded.

Lois Wexler,
Broward County Commissioner Distict 5
954-357-7005

...................................................................

As always, I've tried to get Rodstroms' side of the story, but can't get her on the phone or by e-mail  ...... I can only imagine that this, below,  is what she would say to me if she would call me ...........

Comments

• 2/13/2013 9:10 AM Lester Zalewski wrote:
    I spoke to the city manager about moving the money to the new sight a few months ago. One of the real issues was that the fund may have to go back into rotation if not used for the designated project. Tim the park expansion is a political ball. Mr. Ryan needs to step up!!!
  • 2/13/2013 11:26 AM just wondering wrote:
    why was the park purchase of either site not made in 2012?
  • 2/13/2013 3:19 PM Fred Carlson wrote:
    Support for park on the beachfront? "NO" she said when I asked her if she would support keeping the greenspace half of the area south of SE 5th street, across from the Hall of Fame Swimming Pool. The southern half is DC Alexander Park. the northern half is grass and trees, plus 30 something car parking lot. It looks like she is in favor of letting the developer of the pool get this greenspace. Come on Charlotte, deny that!
  • 2/13/2013 5:07 PM Anonymous wrote:
    For the price of this election we could put a down payment on one of the park site in Middle River.
  • 2/13/2013 7:19 PM Sam wrote:
    Charlotte's letter is full of BS! If in fact, as she states in her letter, that she wants more park space, why didn't she make the addition to MRT park when she was still a commissioner, and why hold it up now to risk the neighborhood losing it? The reason may be because she won't get the glory- she lost against Tim Ryan, and he's the one pushing for it now,and she may lose against Dean (god willing),so she would hate for him to get the credit- it is my understanding that Dean is the one that made SMRCA and Pete Feldman park a reality during his term, and she's trying to take credit for that.... Also notice who the letter is addressed to - why did she feel the need to write that letter to the person that was with her at the county commission when she asked the item to be removed??? If I were a MRT resident, I'd be wondering what the hell the president was up to- isn't she supposed to be representing the best interests of the resident"s there???
  • 2/14/2013 2:53 PM City Activist Robert Walsh wrote:
    First @ last week's commission meeting local resident and beach activist Art Seitz announced that night(Feb5) was Charlotte ' birthday. (the fact that you knew this Art is scary). As far as Chrlotte making the rounds @ the county-good for her. I strongly believe she will, and always will put the residents in district 2 her main priority. Ok so some of you disagree w/ her, but when some of you want something boy oh boy is it a different story(typical-join my world Char). So if she doesn't do exactly what some of you what we get BS-. Call' s that she is this, and that, not only not nice but some of you hit so far below the belt. Lets get this show on the road guys, vote, oh yes vote , and lets roll.
  • 2/14/2013 3:38 PM Mary Pat Rhodes wrote:
    “Revenge proves its own executioner.” - John Ford

My 2013 New Year’s resolution was to wait 24 hours before I react…to anything. Keeping my resolution has been difficult with your last few blog posts on that certain “politician”. Char’s unbelievable selfishness and need for revenge is beyond belief and challenges my resolution at every chance. So 24 hours later I hit the BS Button!

- Why was the email addressed to MRT President when Laura Crescenco, the MRT President was with her?

- Char states she wants more park space. But does she only want park space if she is the commissioner? Isn’t that self-serving?

- Char claims to have secured funds for new parks: South Middle River Park and the Peter Feldman Park in Flagler Village. Ah, Bologna! Both these parks were introduced during Former City Commissioner Dean Trantalis’s term.

- MRT Park was proposed during the term of Former City Commissioner Tim Smith. I was sitting in the meeting of the 13th Street Alliance when the proposed addition was made by the members of the alliance and guess who was sitting there too? Laura!

- Char asks; “Why would anyone think I would jeopardize funds when I was the Commissioner who worked to ensure the funds in the first place????” Let me guess you want the credit??? Am I right?

- Char claims to have brought the first Greenway to Fort Lauderdale, The Flagler Greenway. It is lovely or so the male prostitutes tell me. Drive down there any afternoon to find at least one working boy posing. The fence line has become a great spot for a gym to hang their advertising sign. The landscaping is nice but hides the walkway which according to police is very dangerous. Seems the criminals can hide there. Oh but Char is the tough on crime lady!!!

I think that Char overstepped when she showed up at the county offices to pull the park addition off the agenda. She had no business involving herself in that community and jeopardizing the funding out of revenge was a punk move.

Why do some of the county commissioners fear the Rodstroms? Could it be their past acts of revenge and bullying? Was this last act of revenge to you Tim for supporting Dean? Was it attempt to undermine Commissioner Ryan for trouncing her in the election? Was it because Dean Trantalis is running against her? So we still ask why?

People of District 2, Don't be bamboozled! Vote March 12!
  • 2/15/2013 5:16 PM City Activist Robert Walsh wrote:
    "Revenge proves its own executioner" huh Mary Pat-I'll take my chances.
  • 2/16/2013 10:49 AM Anonymous wrote:
    all 5 commissioners have blinders on and don't see areas in their district that are underrepresented. the beach the beach the beach is the mantra from four of them and district 3 chimes in with sistrunk sistrunk sistrunk
    and then the chorus of galt, las olas and riverwalk from the 4 (repeat). its sounds like a city of islands.
    do marginal neighborhoods matter?
    the sw of dist 4, the nw of district 1. the central and west side of district 2?
    will district 2 continue status quo on march12?