Commissioner Rankled

Fort Lauderdale City Commissioner Dean Trantalis is not happy.

Here is Trantalis when elected to a three year term just a few months back, beating incumbent Charlotte Rodstrom by just 18 votes.

But since then, Trantalis has been upset with a number of  positions the Fort Lauderdale Commission has made, and is making no bones about it!

The latest decision by the Commission that has made Trantalis angry is Galleria Landings.

The proposed condo on the banks of the Middle River passed the Planning and Zoning Board by an 8-0 vote, but Commissioners have a right to "call up" the proposal for review and have the last say.

Trantalis made that motion at the last City Commission meeting, but could not get any of his fellow Commissioners to second his motion.

" I called up the matter because I do not believe the issues of neighborhood compatibility were properly addressed."

" the decision not to call up [Galleria landings] is nothing less than a mockery of the process, and a fraud upon the people of this city"

"If the Commission is not listening to the people, then who are they listening to?"

" I know the people are on my side"

Commissioner Trantalis is not happy.

I'll keep you informed .... Tim

Comments

• 7/7/2013 9:51 AM Mary Pat Rhodes wrote:
    It is apparent this Mayor, and this Commission does not listen to the people. They seem to be led by developers dollars and political aspirations of bigger seats!

On August 20th you will see if the developer $$$ shout louder or they uphold the whispered decision of their predecessors to protect the tree.
    1. 7/7/2013 11:42 AM three votes gets it done wrote:
      The protected Rain Tree is going. They will assert that by 'making' the developer move it, they are 'protecting' it, rather than just letting it be cut down for mulch.
      Trantalis is correct, Galleria Landings does not comply with uS1 Corridor Plan adopted by city. one of the guys now on P&Z was at the May 2006 US1 workshop, but these appointed members get their orders to vote yes from the 8th floor. and they follow orders.
      since y'all voted for them whats the fuss about?
  • 7/7/2013 11:05 AM Doug wrote:
    Tim:

When you first announced this development on your Blog, I wanted to comment but hesitated. But upon hearing of the Commission's decision, or lack thereof to discuss it further really BOTHERS me. Not only, does it show a lack concern for other districts issues,but also indicates the lack of cohesiveness among the elected officials. I think this is a big RED FLAG that the Developers have the upper hand once again in Fort Lauderdale. I think the Architecture of the building lacks creativity in this day and time of fantastic and innovative designs. Were it shown in any other context, it would appear to me to be a big looming, boxy parking garage and not something that could adorn our Intracoastal Views. I also agree that its scale is too large and massive for the location. I can just read the headlines in 6-8 years when somebody "spills the beans" and we find out who and how much in INCENTIVES were paid for a YES VOTE on this monstrosity.

Doug
  • 7/7/2013 12:29 PM Frank Link wrote:
    If it was up to the "people" nothing would ever get done. It's either too tall, too big, too this or too that so nothing would ever get done. If we listened to people like these idiots, the great cities of Chicago and New York would still be cities of two and three story buildings. I'm fed up with these nickel millionaires who bought their condo unit or house thirty or forty years ago and now want to tell everyone else in the neighborhood what they can or cannot do with their property. Oh, and by the way. I'm sick of hearing about 13th Street. It's a dead horse, stop beating it. That street, that neighborhood will never come back, not in our life time and most likely never unless its totally leveled.
    1. 7/7/2013 2:01 PM Lester Zalewski wrote:
      I recently referred a successful commercial artist to look into buying properties on 13st. She needs about 6000 sq ft for work live space. 13st needs to think of itself as a part of the whole. Park, Old Dixie, green way and commercial. Tim, I know you guys are on it persevere! I was in involved in the south loop redevelopment in Chicago. We resorted, leveled, build and beautified. Which reduced crime created jobs and gave the young yuppies an affordable place to live.
  • 7/7/2013 1:08 PM Raymond Dettmann wrote:
    I feel Dean should be Mad as Hell I feel when a Commissioner request a Hearing for more review it should be granted by the Others and this is very disappointing I believe Dean is the area Commissioner in which the project will be build and not give another hearing was very wrong !!!
  • 7/7/2013 1:33 PM Lester Zalewski wrote:
    Tim when I read the responses to this issues the first time you brought it up, it seemed like the commission and the majority of your respondents are on the same page. Jobs, revenue, best of class architecture.
    Neighborhood compatibility on a commercial street in that are would be a strip-mall.

Mr Trantalis was elected to finish off a 3yr term.
  • 7/7/2013 3:36 PM Frank Link wrote:
    Dean talks about neighborhood compatibility. What neighborhood compatibility? It's a commercial area. There is water on the east side of the site, the Cadillac dealership to the north and the west side of the street is all shopping plaza's. It's the condo commandos to the north who are the problem and think they own the city and want to tell everyone else how to live their lives. This city will never move ahead if we
    keep giving developers a hard time.
    1. 7/7/2013 9:02 PM virtue paestin wrote:
      Frank (and Lester) ...

I agree that certain VOTERS in certain geographic areas will ALWAYS have a NIMBY attitude. (Not In My Backyard)- But, realistically, as a Community Activist FIRST and REALTOR, SECOND, I advocate and welcome SMART GROWTH.

I do think, however, that more consideration and discussion needs to be given for a project of this size.

It will long out-last you or I, but for the sake of others.....let's at least be open-minded about the affect on our FUTURE.
      1. 7/8/2013 8:52 AM Lester Zalewski wrote:
        I agree with you that is why I used the term "best of class architecture".

The discussion must have an honest end goal. Which should be the best possible result for all parties involved.
  • 7/8/2013 7:11 PM City Activist Robert Walsh wrote:
    First of all Comm.Trantalis is finishing Charlotte Rodstrom' term(miss U). I believe he is up Jan.2015. Then he has to run all over again. Don't forget he has to stick up for the residents in East Point Towers. His motion was sandbagged for lack of a second. So he can now go to the residents in East Point Towers and say"see I tried". However Comm.trantalis has to accommodate all District 2 residents which is a tough task. Although I was not a supporter of his ,he has to do a better job in addressing the CBA' concerns and also your neighborhood Tim. Which he needs improvement. Since it was you Tim along w/ Mr.Glassman and others that got him elected(20votes guys). As far as him saying that this 'Galleria Landings " is not compatiable" come on Dean(nice try)as Mr.Link pointed out its not the Waldorf over there. I say build baby build. One could say Comm.Trantalis w/ this gorgeous property being right next door, one would think that their property values could and should go up. One thing for sure change those horrible windows in the joint, and for God's sake paint that pukee tan color say white(would be a great start.) Lastly you know that saying "money talks and bs walks. Or should we say money talks and Cortney Crush(land lawyer)walks.) Tip my hat to her ,she always prevails(huh)..(note-Tim City Att. (hi Harry-lets go to Vegas)retirement 'party is this Thursday night @ Maguires Pub @ 6pm-pictures would be great Tim).....
  • 7/12/2013 5:03 AM Danielle wrote:
    NOBODY is paying any attention to him because instead of being a leader, he's being lead by his group of crazy beach people that none of the PZ or commissioners like or respect. So he has become just another Charlotte.
    His votes are SO predictable. For example watch him vote for the massive Tiffany House project because his beach buddies tell him too. If it were a different developer he would use his " I like the project but not on that site"
    Stay tuned....